Leith Athletic FC 7-1 Burntisland Shipyard FC

Posted on 07/01/2013


Leith Athletic secured a vital three points in their promotion quest, with a 7-1 win against East of Scotland new boys, Burntisland Shipyard at Ainslie Park on Saturday.

The scoring was opened after only four minutes when a diagonal ball from Kenny Hall was headed back across goal by Craig Hume and Kyle Boggie was left with the simplest of tap-ins from just five yards out to make it 1-0.

Hume got his first of the game in the tenth minute of the match when a through ball from Chris Barrie was taken down on his chest, before his strike from 16 yards went through the legs of Burntislands Martyn Melia.

It was 3-0 in the 24th minute when good work down the right by Stephen Barrie seen his cross to the front post, met by Chris Beaton.  His run across the front of the defender seen him get to the ball first, before blasting it high into the roof of the net.


Craig Hume got his second goal after 31 minutes and put the game beyond the reach of the visitors.  A through ball from Lewis Cairns seen Hume one on one with the goalkeeper.  He composed himself before slotting it home to make it 4-0.

The visitors got a goal back in the 42nd minute when Steven Lynch was fouled in the centre circle, but much to the amazement of everyone, the referee waved play on.  A through ball from Mark Hamilton found Paul Ferrier and he put the ball into Iain Gordons bottom left hand corner.

Half-Time: Leith Athletic FC 4-1 Burntisland Shipyard FC

There were no further goals until the 72nd minute when Craig Hume completed his hat-trick at the second time of asking.  A ball from Cairns seen Hume pick up the ball at the edge of the box and his first strike came off Melia’s right hand post.  Hume was first to react and prodded the ball home from four yards out to make it 5-1.

Hume got his fourth and the teams sixth just one minute later when half-time substitute Lachlan Thom fired in a cross from the left.  Hume took one touch, composed himself and passed the ball into the net.

The scoring ended in the 86th minute when Jack Combe tapped in from just three yards out after a cross from Stephen Barrie on the right hand side.

Full Time: Leith Athletic FC 7-1 Burntisland Shipyard FC

Source: http://www.leithathleticfc.com

Posted in: Match Reports