Leith through to Alex Jack Cup Fianl

Posted on 18/11/2012


Leith dominated possession in the opening 20 minutes, but lacked that cutting edge in the final third of the park. A few cross balls and half-chances were all that Leith could muster.  Good work down the right by Stephen Barrie seen his cross flash across the box, but no-one was on the end of it to tap it in.

A through ball from Lewis Cairns was collected by Lewis Tracey who was one-on-one with goalkeeper David Simmons, but Stewart Fisher managed to get back goalside and block the shot.

Ormiston could have opened the scoring in the 28th minute when Conor Ramage was upended by Neil Lowson at the edge of the box, but Richard Weir’s free kick was well saved by Iain Gordon in the Leith goal.

In the 40th minute, the scoring was opened when a corner from Stephen Barrie was met on the penalty spot by Lowson, his powerful header sailed into the top corner of the net and the home side took the lead going into half-time.

Leith will now play local side Craigroyston in the Final.

The second half started much the same as the first, with the home side creating the majority of chances.  A ball into the box from Steven Lynch was collected by Tulloch, but his shot drifted wide of the post.

Leith doubled their lead in the 55th minute when another corner from Barrie was met by Chris Beaton and his header went in off the bar and post and the home side looked to have put one foot in the final.

Two minutes later, Ormiston upset the script when a long ball from Stewart Fisher was misjudged and Richard Weir nipped in to head the ball home from just ten yards out.  This gave Ormiston some encouragement and they began to come more and more into the game.  A few half-chances were created by either side, but neither goalkeeper was really tested.

With just five minutes remaining, the home side had the chance to put the game out of sight when a ball over the top from Chris Barrie was collected by Stephen Barrie, who was through on goal with keeper Simmonds, Kyle Boggie got alongside waiting for a tap in, however, Barrie decided to take the shot himself and it sailed high and wide of the Ormiston goal.

A free kick in injury time from Weir gave the home dug-out some concerns, but his shot was blasted over the bar and referee Weir blew the full-time whistle and our 1st Team reach the first final of the season.

Source: http://www.leithathleticfc.com

Posted in: Match Reports